Saturday, December 1, 2007

Saturday Snow

It's snowing outside as I sit by an inky black window on Saturday night. Beside me is a brand-new Grand Fir Christmas tree, and indie carols play on the stereo. I've spent the day sewing and shopping for books and used furniture, and I will spend the evening watching a movie and decorating my house with friends.

I realized today that it is rather grown up to be able to enjoy snow on a Saturday. I mentioned to the Guests earlier this week that I hoped for snow on the weekend, and they scowled at me.

"On Saturday?" they moaned. "What's the use? We won't miss any school."

"No," I answered. "I guess not. But it's still snow, isn't it? Still wintry and quiet and nice to look at."

"Eh, whatever. It'd be better on Monday."

So I am feeling adult today, taking pleasure in snow that doesn't mean cancelled work, enjoying the pause always seems to accompany a Northwest snowfall, even on a weekend. I read the books I bought today. I make gifts and watch Christmas movies. I stay in on a Saturday night and do not feel like I'm missing anything. What a delight.

2 comments:

MountainPowerLineman said...

You make me miss the snow. I know that it's eventually going to visit us here in the Yosemite area, but it seems to take so long to get here. Snow is always a little bittersweet for me. The quiet and peace of the snow was usually soon broken by a phone call from work - time to brave the elements to bring someone else warmth and light.

Richard Dahlstrom said...

I'm so glad to have passed the wonder and delight of snow on to my children. It is amazing here in Austria as well. I've enjoyed envisioning you here all those years ago, hiking in these beautiful mountains now covered in white. I love you! -mom